Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Leaving the Home of Marshall

April 14, 2014

This past Saturday night I got a phone call from President Durrant. He asked me if I would serve as a zone leader for him. I told him I would. Later that night I got a call from his assistants giving me more details. I leave for my new area today at 2:30 pm. I have been called to serve in the Plano 9th ward in Dallas. I don't know my new address so I will get it to y'all as soon as I get it. 

There was a huge miracle that happened this past week. We got a call from our bishop's counselor asking us to fill in for a speaking assignment this Sunday because he had an unexpected opening. We of course said yes and at the time we didn't know I was getting transferred so we said well who ever gets transferred will give the talk. I spoke yesterday and it was an amazing experience for me. I was the last speaker and right before I got up to speak Bro. Y. (our bishop's counselor who called us for the talk) got up and asked me if it would be ok if he could let everyone know that I was leaving. I said of course and he then told the ward that I had been in their ward for a while and that I was getting transferred. He also told the ward how much he had appreciated my service in the ward and how they were all going to miss me. I wanted to cry as he was talking. G. C. was sitting next to me and he is my best friend in the young men's and he looked shocked and sad to hear that I was going to be leaving. I then got up and spoke on the most important thing ever. The Atonement of Jesus Christ. I got to bear my testimony to the ward family that I have become a part of and share with them the things that I felt moved to say. What a blessing it was! I realized that I said y'all more times over the pulpit than I ever have in a talk! It was just natural and that's how they talk here anyways. 

I felt like it was my farewell all over again.  Saying goodbye to the people I love. Investigators, members and my companion. I'm going to miss Marshall! I already do even though I'm emailing at the Marshall library computer right now. I'm going to always remember the people here and love them forever! My investigators are in good hands with Elder Kidd and the friends they have in the ward. C. is going to get baptized in a couple of weeks and I'm excited to hear about it and get pictures. We said good bye to B. this morning and he told me to be safe and stay in touch and that he loved me. I will always remember Marshall! 

To my little brothers Christopher and Jared and anyone else who is getting ready to serve a mission. When you serve a mission one day in the future act in faith and work hard! Put your Trust in the Lord and do everything you possibly can to bring about His work. Love the areas you serve in and Love the People you serve. Love from the bottom of your heart and people will see the love of Christ in your eyes! Love an area and it will love you! Try to leave every area better than you found it! When you leave make it feel like you are leaving home all over again because home is where you heart lies. Give them your heart! 

I love y'all so much and I miss y'all! But this work is the work of the Lord and it is the most amazing thing I have ever done in my life. Is it hard? Yes. Absolutely. But we do hard things and it is in the difficulty that we bring forth the most good. It is in the difficulty of seeking for truth that one gains a testimony. It is in the difficulty of living the gospel that one becomes converted and it was in the difficulty that Jesus Christ went through for us that we can Become! 

I love y'all!
 
Love your missionary,
Elder Drew Bowen   

No comments:

Post a Comment