Tuesday, October 15, 2013

A Wonderful Week!

We had a wonderful week in Lufkin!
 
We found a new investigator! His name is Lin. We got a referral text from mormon.org and so we went over and stopped by and talked to him briefly and got a phone number a few weeks ago. We had caught him at a bad time then but he said he would like to have us  come back some time. So we had tried to schedule something with him through texting but we kept getting weird blank messages as replies and so we decided that we would just stop in. He was home and let us in and talked to us. He told us that he was attending a Baptist church in town and where he worked and that he had met missionaries in Florida around 9 months ago. We asked what he remembered from the visits and he said, "Like 3 kingdoms of heaven? I don't remember that much. It was a while ago." We asked, "Well did they give you a Book of Mormon?" He replied, "Yes I have it by my bed. I read it every now and then but I'm trying to finish the Bible right now." He didn't have too much time to visit because his mom was in town so we scheduled a return appointment for Thursday. I'm really excited to teach Lin more about the gospel! Also he has a Siberian Husky. It's 8 months old so its still a little hyper but I love it. It's one of my favorite kinds of dogs. They are so pretty. 
 
This week we also stopped by Antonio's but he wasn't home. We found out that the Book of Mormon isn't published in his native tongue which is sad and makes things difficult. We are going to get a child's picture Book of Mormon to give him to hopefully help. It's difficult when he can't speak or understand much English but I'm hoping we can still teach him in some way and help him out.
 
This week we got a new piece of furniture in our apartment. But first a story about it. So this past week Elder Stufflebeam and I have been talking about how much he loves rocking chairs. Whenever we go somewhere and he has the opportunity to sit in their rocking chair he will take it if given. And then he rocks out! I love it. He rocks not like small gentle rocks but big rocks. So we were at a member's house for dinner and were sitting down in their living room to visit and they had a rocking chair so my companion started to rock. It then came up how much he loved rocking chairs and they said, "Well we have one you can have." So we got a new rocking chair. Elder Stufflebeam loves it. Now he has a chair to rock in at the end of the day. It's hilarious.  
 
Thank you so much for the package! It was amazing! I got it Friday. It was so good to eat home made bread again with home made jam. Yumm it was delicious and I love the new scriptures! They are beautiful! It is such a blessing to have them. I have been wanting to get the 2013 edition scriptures and I am so grateful to be able to study from them. They are amazing! I've already started to mark scriptures in them. 
 
I feel so blessed to be able to serve in Lufkin with Elder Stufflebeam and to be able to preach the gospel. It brings such joy into my life when we share the gospel with others. I also love that we get to study in preparation for teaching. The scriptures are such a blessing to us. They teach us how to be happy. It's as simple as that. Unfortunately people don't live the things they learn from them. It's amazing to see the change they can make in our lives.
 
I love y'all so much! Have a wonderful week!
 
Love your missionary,
Elder Drew Bowen

No comments:

Post a Comment